Kombu Kelp Strips
Our Kombu Kelp Strips is a food enhancing Seaweed product that can be used in a variety of ways. Kombu is most commonly used for making Stocks, Broths and Soups and is the main ingredient when making ‘Dashi’, the culinary cornerstone of Japanese Cuisine! Take a peek below at our directions for use, which include a simple Dashi recipe and other vegetarian friendly ideas all helping to add seaweed to your diet. Weight: 40g
- Rich in nutrients
- A natural flavour enhancer giving a deep savoury taste to foods
- Improves digestion, metabolism and reduces gas
- Vitamin K – contributes to bone development & health blood cells
- Lower Blood Pressure and improve blood circulation
- Naturally occluding fucoxanthin has be shown to prevent certain kinds of cancer
- Can be used in the treatment of thyroid issues due to natural Iodine.
- Eating seaweed also helps with reducing depressive symptoms.
100% Seaweed: Laminaria Digitata
Kombu is the main ingredient to create the famous Japanese Stocks and Soups known as ‘Dashi’
Here’s a simple recipe that will make around 8 servings in 15 minutes. The Dashi Stock/Broth can then be stored in a fridge for up to one week
- 40g of Kombu
- 2L water
- 30g of Bonito Flakes (Katsuobushi) OR Vegetarian option use Shiitake Mushrooms
- Add the Kombu to the water in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat.
- Add the Bonito Flakes/Mushroom and remove from heat and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
It is also possible to make a second batch of Dashi with the strained ingredients if desired.
Note: Bonito Flakes/Shaved Katsuobushi is widely available online or in the Asian section of most large supermarkets.
- Added Flavour to Rice: Include a sheet of Kombu to your Rice while cooking and remove before straining.
- Japanese Kombucha Tea: Kombu can be blitzed and strained with Japanese Green Tea in hot water to make Japanese Kombucha Tea (Not to be confused with Western Kombucha – which is a fruity drink)